A lovely roundish-shaped little two-way clutch bag can also be carried with a strap as a shoulder bag. The Classic animal cotton linen fabric from echino’s standard series is a perfect fit for bag making. Despite its compact size, it can carry more items than you think. With a smart phone and wallet inside, it will definitely become handy as an everyday bag!
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- (Outer fabric, top opening fabric) echino EKX-90200-201B
- (Lining fabric (solid canvas)) echino solid JG-95410-10F
- Fabric (Outer fabric, top opening fabric): 110cm wide×50cm
(Lining fabric (solid canvas)): 100cm×30cm
- Quilt batting: 70cmx50cm
- Spring loaded aluminum purse frame: One piece (24cm wide)
- Leather tape: 11cm (1.5cm wide)
- Paracord: 2m (0.4cm diameter)
Size: 15cm (l) 29cm (w) 12cm (d)
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
You immediately notice it’s an echino fabric. Its vivid pattern and color tones are so attractive! I thought a little purse in this fabric will go perfectly well with an autumn style!
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
The fluffiness of the quilt batting and tuck detail create a roundish soft look. While enjoying this as a clutch bag, the strap loop allows you to carry it as a shoulder purse when needed.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
The process is easy with a simple straight stitching! The leather tape for strap loop can be attached any place you like, but it is best not to layer it with the top opening seam to keep it from being bulky.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
It is compact and can easily be coordinated with your wardrobe. It can carry many things. Wallet, smart phone, handkerchief, Kleenex, mask, you name it. It will definitely become handy as an everyday bag!
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Make the opening piece. Fold the seam of the short end in three and sew. With the front sides facing outside, fold the piece in half.
2. Layer the quilt batting over the outer fabric. Baste the edge all the way around (you could use fusible quilt batting instead).
3. Mark the tuck location and fold.
4. Sew the tuck.
5. With the front sides facing each other, baste together the leather tape and opening fabric.
6. With the front sides facing each other, layer the outer fabric and lining fabric and sew together at the top opening. ※Make two pieces.
7. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the outer fabric and lining fabric at the sides and bottom respectively. ※Leave an opening for turning on the bottom of the lining fabric.
8. Sew gussets in four locations.
9. Turn it inside out and close the opening for turning. Insert the spring loaded aluminum purse frame through the opening fabric.
10. Insert the paracord through leather loop and tie the cord to finish.