A new fabric featuring HAyU’s popular wire art is here! Flexed freely by hand, the wire art is fun and can be arranged in any way to reflect the free-flowing ideas of the creator. The +HAyU series expresses the artistic vision of the wire art in a textile form. This bag with a round bottom is unique using +HAyU’s fabric for a handle. It gives you another way to fully enjoy HAyU’s art.
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- (Handle)＋HAyU EGX-7702-2A
- Fabric (Handle): 66cm x 98cm
(Outer fabric (Wool)): 100cm×60cm
(Lining fabric (thin artificial leather): 100cm×55cm
- Button: Four pieces (1.5cm diameter)
Size: 32cm (l) 45cm (w-at the opening) 15cm (bottom diameter)
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
I thought the design is unique and hip! To make great use of the large motif and softness of the fabric, I decided to make a bag.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
Its round look comes from a relaxed design. The bag holds a lot of items. The handle strap is gentle on your shoulder.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
To avoid any mistakes, make sure to baste the fabrics when piecing together the bottom.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
You can carry this bag in a variety of ways! One way is to carry it over your shoulder. It will also look cute to hold it over your wrist and grab the handle.
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Make the handle. With the front sides facing each other, fold the long end in half and sew.
Press the seam open and turn it inside out.
2. Attach the handle to the top portion of the outer bag fabric. (with the front sides facing outside) Leave 3cm unsewn at the top opening. Repeat the process for the back side.
3. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the top and bottom portions of the outer fabric. Press down the seam to the bottom side. Repeat the process for the back side.
4. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the front and back of the outer fabrics.
5. Apply rough hand stitches at the bottom. Pull the thread to gather the fabric.
6. With the front sides facing each other, baste the bag outer fabric and bottom outer fabric and sew together.
7. Repeat the process for the lining bag (leaving an opening for turning).
8. Turn the outer bag inside out. Push the lining bag in, making the front sides of the fabric facing each other.
9. Sew all the way around at the top opening. Turn it inside out and close the opening for turning.
10. Attach the decorative button to finish.