This large tote bag with ample gusset is made with echino’s standard, a design that features a collection of echino’s highly popular designs and motifs. With high-impact bird design as a focus, polka dot design from the same color family is combined. This bag in summer-like navy color will come in handy for your vacation outing and shopping.
Design & Work: Yuki Inomata
Fabric shown for this sample:
- (Outer fabric) echino standard Bird Song JG90010-10D
- (Lining fabric) echino standard Dot JG90010-14D
- Fabric (Outer fabric, Handle): 110cm wide×90cm
- (Lining fabric): 55cm×80cm
Size: 30cm (l) 38cm (w) 15cm (gusset at the top) 18cm (bottom)
We interviewed Yuki about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
The size of the motifs was larger than I thought. I decided to take advantage of this large size and cut the fabric so that I can use it in a grand manner.
KF:Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
Each element – front, back and sides – has its own look, and since I worked on this project feeling we are right in summer, I used navy to make a statement.
KF:What are some tips for making this bag?
The gusset of this bag is larger than it looks, making it perfect as a diaper bag, shopping bag and for summer outing. As large bags tend to get heavy with many items inside, I paid extra attention to the shoulder straps by utilizing the fabric’s width and making it longer.
KF:How should we use this bag in everyday situations?
echino is known for its dynamic and colorful designs. While it is a bit challenging as a clothing piece to coordinate with other pieces, the bag will make a perfect match for a chic fashion statement. The colors will even make style coordination fun. Try to find your favorite design and enjoy making this bag.
KF:Thank you very much, Yuki! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Cut the handle into two pieces of strip. Fold in four and iron to score. Sew both long ends.
2. With the front sides facing each other, sew the pocket all the way around, leaving an opening for turning. Turn it inside out using an opening for turning. Stitch two lines at the opening side.
3. Sew the pocket from Step 2 onto the lining fabric at 11cm from the top opening.
4. Put a match mark for a tuck on both outer and lining bags. Fold the tuck and baste at 5mm from the edge.
5. With the front sides facing each other, fold the lining bags for 7.5cm from the bottom. Sew both sides at 1cm from the edge, leaving an opening for turning for 10cm.
6. Make the outer bag. Sew together with the bottom fabric. Press each seam down to one side and sew at 2mm and 5mm from the edge.
7. Match the bottom center and side fabric at the mark and slowly sew together (both sides).
8. Turn it inside out. Fold the tuck to the opposite of the lining bag and baste at 5mm from the edge. Align the handle to the side and baste it.
9. Place the outer bag from Step 8 inside the lining bag from Step 5. Sew together at the top at 1cm from the edge. It is recommended to finish the fabric edge with zigzag stitches or by serging.
10. Turn the bag inside out using the opening for turning.
Apply stitches at the top opening at 5mm and 8mm from the edge.
Close the opening to finish.
Scroll down and sign up to Kokka Fabrics to access the full sewing instructions!