This tiered dress for children has three-tiered frills with plenty of gathering. The fabric used is CATS from the “+HAyU fabric” series. It is a fluffy double gauze embroidered fabric with round and square sashiko-style embroidery as an accent. The large cat designed with wire art has a great presence! It is a must-have for early spring outings.
Design & Work: Naomi Nohara (lepolepo)
Fabric shown for this sample:
- Fabric: 110cm wide x 2m
- Elastic Tape: 70cm (Braid 8 cord)
Size: For 130cm height Back length 75cm
We interviewed Naomi about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
I thought that the pretty embroidered pattern of a cat has such cute impact! I also like the color combination of pink and green. Since this fabric has a strong presence, I decided to make a simple yet voluminous design tiered dress.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
To make it easier to slip on and off, the back neckline features an elastic tape. It is also relatively straightforward to sew because there is no need to make an opening.
KF: What are some tips for making this dress?
The part where you have to sew a lot of gathering may be challenging, but they add the volume that makes this dress a cute piece, so please try your best!
KF: How should we incorporate this dress into one’s styling?
In the photo, I’ve styled it with a pair of socks, but I think it would also look cute with leggings. Please enjoy coordinating the bright pink color for a spring look♪
KF: Thank you very much, Naomi! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the bias binding fabric for the neckline. Fold in half and iron.
2. Sew together the front and back bodies at the shoulder. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam and press it down to the back side.
3. With the front sides facing each other, attach the bias binding strip around the neckline.
4. Press down the bias binding strip to the body side using an iron.
5. Sew only the back neckline. Insert the elastic tape. Shrink it to the finished elastic measurement (19cm) and secure with a concealed seam stitch.
6. Sew the front neckline.
7. Apply rough stitches at the top end of the skirt fabrics A, B and C. Pull the thread and gather the fabric.
8. Piece together the body and skirt fabric A. Then sew together this piece with skirt fabric B, then followed by skirt fabric C.
9. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam and press it down to the upper side. Use top stitches from the front to secure.
10. Fold the cuff opening in three and iron to press. Sew together the body and sleeve. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam.
11. Sew together all the way from the cuff to the hem. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam.
12. Make an opening for the elastic tape. Insert the elastic and close the opening.
13. Fold the hem in three and sew.