Midsummer is the time when we start to carry water more often when going out to prevent heat stroke. For that purpose, this bag is definitely useful. It has a cute design unlike a typical insulated bag, and it can hold two 500ml drink bottles. The fabric used is from the “+HAyU” series. It is a double gauze embroidered fabric with cool looking wire art rabbits and stylish swirling dots.
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- HAyU fabric "Dogs" Double Gauze (EGX-7702-1F)
- Fabric (Bag Main Outer Portion): 50cm×30cm
(Opening Fabric): 50cm×20cm
- Insulation Sheet (Main Lining Portion): 50cmx30cm
- Bag Handle Tape: 45cm (4cm wide)
- Cord: 1.3m (0.4cm diameter)
Size: 22cm (l-excludes opening fabric) 22cm (w-opening side) 14cm (bottom) 8cm (d)
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
+HAyU’s series is lovely and charming, and this collection of new colors is very nice! The fluffy double gauze with a combination of three-dimensional embroidery makes this fabric feel luxurious, and I love it. As I wanted to keep the fluffy texture, a quilted insulation sheet is used for lining. When the cord it tied at the top, it turns into a soft and lovely insulated bag.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
It looks more like a stylish everyday drawstring bag, rather than a typical insulated bag. The upper portion has a longer transition so that it creates a pretty appearance when tied at the top. I also like the simple handle and the two-tone color combination that is perfect for summer to autumn season. The bag is large enough for two 500ml PET bottles.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
The process is simple with only straight stitching. It is very easy to make as the top opening and bottom main portion are prepared separately.
KF: How should we use this bag in everyday situations?
Summer is the season when you sometimes want to go out with a bottle of water. So I’m thinking of using this bag as an everyday bag that helps keep my drinks cold.
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Cut the fabrics.
2. Fold the edge of the opening fabric in three and apply stitches.
3. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the bag main outer portions at the sides, bottom and gusset.
4. Baste the opening fabric and tape to the bag main portion.
5. Using the same process with the outer bag, make the lining bag. (Leave an opening for turning on the side.)
6. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the outer and lining bags at the top opening by stitching all the way around.
7. Turn the bag inside out and close the opening for turning.
8. Insert the drawstring cord and tie the ends.