This is a mini shoulder bag in the shape of a drum with a cute, rounded form. The size is large enough to hold a cell phone and a wallet, so it is perfect as a companion for going out.
The featured fabric is from the “Chokotto Odekake (Quick Going Out) Bag” series. This cotton linen canvas is easy to sew and ideal material for making bags.
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- (Outer Fabric)YKA-89060-1C
- Fabric (Outer Fabric): 50cmx40cm (Lining Fabric): 50cm×40cm
- Fusible Quilt Batting: 50cmx40cm
- Artificial Leather Tape: 1mm wide x 8cm
- Zipper: One piece (25cm long)
- O Ring: Two pieces (2cm diameter, 1.8cm inner diameter)
- Shoulder strap with a metal clasp: One piece (120cm long)
- Tag of your choice (See photo)
Size: 24cm (l) A 13cm B 8cm (Bottom diameter)
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
As the name of the series “Chokotto Odekake (Quick Going Out) Bag” suggests, this fabric was perfect for a bag. It was sturdy and easy to sew, and I thought it would be cute as a casual shopping bag. If I combined it with gold hardware, it would also make a gorgeous fashionable bag! I decided to make a small shoulder bag.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
It has a stylish mini-drum shape and is large enough to hold a smartphone and a wallet. It is made with a firm quilt batting to prevent it from losing its shape.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
Sewing the circular pieces together may be difficult, so make sure to prepare well by using more clips for temporary holding the pieces and basting, and then stitch slowly. Repeat the same careful process for the zipper. It is also recommended to use a sewing glue for temporary basting.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
The color of the fabric is not too bright, so you can easily add vividness to a mature styling. I think it would be very cute if you coordinate it like an accessory.
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Cut the fabrics.
2. Add a decorative tag to the body outer fabric. (Salvage of the fabric is used here.)
3. Adhere fusible quilt batting on the back of the outer fabric.
4. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the outer fabric, lining fabric and zipper. (0.7cm seam allowance)
5. When it is turned inside out, it looks like this.
6. Attach the zipper also on the other side.
7. Fold the artificial tape in half. Place it on both sides of the zipper and baste.
8. With the front sides facing each other, place the outer bag body and outer side fabric together. Sew the zipper portion.
9. Sew all the way around, avoiding the lining fabric.
10. Repeat the process for the lining fabric. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the body and sides.
※Leave an opening for turning on one side. ※ If some portions are difficult to sew with the sewing machine, stitch those areas by hand.
11. Cut a slit on the curves of the seam allowance. Slightly thin the quilt batting to help align the shape.
12. Turn it inside out and close the opening.
13. Insert the O ring through the tab. Attach the strap to finish.