This is a large shopping bag with a stylish square shape. A strap is also attached so that you can carry it over your shoulder. The echino’s new design, bright is the featured fabric. The echino-like vivid motif looks attractive against the crisp border in this cotton linen canvas. An asymmetric look is achieved by highlighting the border on the front while placing the motif on one side.
Design & Work: Mioko Sugino
Fabric shown for this sample:
- echino EKX-97100-102C
- Fabric (Panel Outer Fabric): 102cm x 37cm
(Panel Side Lining Fabric, Bottom Fabric): 110cm wide x 50cm
(Tab Fabric): 20cm × 10cm
- Bag Tape: 143cm (3cm wide)
- D Ring: Two pieces (2cm inner diameter)
- Swivel Lobster Clasp: Two pieces (3cm inner diameter)
Size: 35cm (l) 40cm (w) 10cm (d)
We interviewed Mioko about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
What an impactful pattern with big motifs! The combination of crisp borders and large flowers will give you many ways to enjoy it by changing the parts and angles you use. For this project, on the contrary, I used the fabric in a straightforward way to make the most of this great design.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
The width is just right to show the flowers and border in a balanced way. I wanted to take advantage of the crispness of the pattern, so the top stitches are applied in the corners as an accent to give it a solid paper bag look. Since it is a large bag, a detachable shoulder strap is incorporated to make it easy to carry even when it gets heavy.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
I wanted it to be sturdy and self-standing, so I used the #9.5 canvas for the bottom and inside. Sewing the corners of the bottom may seem difficult, but with a little extra effort, such as marking the correct position or making a notch, you can do it surprisingly smoothly.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
Since it is a bag with a big impact, simple outfit is recommended. It looks stylish when carried with a plain long coat. It would also be great to make a small bag with the same fabric and carry it as a set.
KF: Thank you very much, Mioko! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
Preparation: Cut outer fabrics, lining fabrics and tab fabrics based on the pattern measurement. Prepare the bag tape, D ring and swivel lobster clasp.
1. With the front sides facing each other, fold the panel outer fabric in half and sew the side.
2. Make a notch at the bottom ends.
3. Press the side seams open and place them to the center. Mark the stitch line and center location on the bottom fabric.
With the front sides facing each other, sew together the bottom fabric and bag panel.
The outer bag and lining bag are now ready.
4. Cut off the bottom corner seam.
5. Fold the top opening of the outer bag and lining bag for 1cm inward.
6. Fold the tab fabric in four.
Sew both sides, insert the D ring and baste.
7. Turn the outer bag inside out. With the front sides facing outside, layer the outer and lining bags, place the tab in-between on both sides, and position the bag tape in-between at the top opening.
Sew all the way around.
8. Securely fold the four side ends using an iron.
9. Insert the tape through swivel lobster clasp. Fold in three and sew.
10. Hook the swivel lobster clasp on the strap to the D ring on the tab to complete!