It is a chic drawstring bag that can be the star of your fashion styling. The large frill created by pulling the strings tightly is this bag’s cute accent. The “Iloinen” from the “PIKKU SAARI”, a textile design from the Scandinavian country of Finland, is featured. It is a 100% cotton organic oxford fabric.
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- (Outer Fabric, Handle)EGX-4007-3A
- (Lining Fabric)JG-95410-10K
- Fabric (Outer Fabric, Handle): 110cm wide x 50cm
(Lining Fabric): 90cm x 40cm
- Leather Cord: 1.8m (0.5cm diameter)
- Embellishment of your choice
Size: 41cm (l) 40cm (w)
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
The colors are gorgeous, not too flashy, and the size of the pattern is just right. So I thought it would be perfect for both pouches and large bags!
KF:Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?I wanted to make a stylish drawstring bag that could be a fashion hero piece, so I made the large ruffles to be accented when the strings are pulled. For the cord string, I used a gold synthetic leather material.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
For sewing the long straight line where the cords are inserted, you can mark the stitch line with something erasable later, or you can put masking tape on the sewing machine to mark the position of the fabric edge, which will make it easier to stitch in a straight manner.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
It is a piece that can work with any kind of outfit. I like it because it holds a lot of things and is very convenient to use.
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Make the handles. With the front sides facing each other, fold the long end in half and sew the edge. Press the seam open and turn it inside out. Fold the ends for 1cm.
2. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the outer and lining fabrics at the top opening. (Repeat the same process on the other side.)
3. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the outer fabrics and lining fabrics at the bottom respectively. Press down the seam to the lining fabric side.
4. Mark the area for cord opening. Sew the sides together, leaving the cord opening unsewn. (Leave an opening for turning on the lining fabric side.)
5. Press down the seam of the cord opening to the lining fabric side and sew to secure for a clean look.
6. Turn it inside out and close the opening for turning.
7. Align the shape and iron.
8. Apply two lines of stitches all the way around for the cord opening.
9. Attach the handles.
10. Decorate the handle as you like with an embellishment to finish.