This is a convenient and cute spare bag that you can fold up and accompany in your small purse when going out. The bag is made of a single piece of fabric without a lining, so it is nice and light. The featured fabric from the “NUNO TO MONO” series is made of 85% cotton and 15% hemp sheeting. The tag from the same series works well as a design accent.
Design & Work: Yui Tamaki
Fabric shown for this sample:
- Fabric: 100cm x 50cm
- Elastic: 20cm (0.1cm diameter)
- Button: One piece (1.9cm diameter)
- Tag – Large: One piece
- Tag – Small: One piece
Size: 30cm (l) 28cm (w) 7cm (d)
Purchase the Fabric
We interviewed Yui about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
I thought, “It’s a simple plain sheeting, so it will come in handy in many situations!” This time, I made use of its lightness of the fabric to create a single layer foldable bag.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
Since it can be folded into a small size, it is convenient to use as a reusable-bag for shopping, but I thought I should make a spare yet proper accompanying piece, like a paper bag from a stylish store! By separating the gusset piece, it created a clean square design. It is easy to fold along the tag on the front, and you can still see the cute tag even when it is folded♪
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
Sewing the corners may be a little difficult, but if you cut a slit and align them carefully before sewing, then you will get a beautiful finish when you turn over the piece.
KF: How should we incorporate this bag into one’s styling?
I think you can use it casually like a stylish paper bag in situations where you feel a little embarrassed to carry a plastic bag but don’t need a large bag. You have more items than you can fit in a small bag, you have documents that can’t be folded, you are bringing a gift – this bag is perfect for these types of occasions.
KF: Thank you very much, Yui! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Cut the fabric and attach the decorative tag.
2. Make two handles. Fold the edge of the long end by 1cm. Fold it in half into a long piece and apply stitches on the edge.
3. Baste the handle and elastic on the bag fabric.
4. Fold the bag opening in three. Fold first with 1cm width, then with 2cm width.
5. Press down the handle and elastic to the outer side and apply stitches.
6. Fold the short end of the gusset in three and apply stitches.
7. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the bag fabric and gusset. Cut a slit in the corner for easier sewing.
8. Finish the seam. Cut off half of the gusset seam.
9. Wrap the piece from ⑧ with the seam of the bag fabric. ※ You may substitute this process with zigzag stitches or serging.
10. Turn it inside out and attach the button to finish.