This large tote bag with ample room comes with outer side pockets, allowing for more inside space. An eye-opening bright orange circle design is inspired by a Japanese round bread called Anpan. From the popular MUDDY WORKS series, this fabric is a 100% cotton lightweight canvas, featuring the newest orange color in the series.
Design & Work: Mioko Sugino
Fabric shown for this sample:
- Outer Fabric・Pocket: MUDDY WORKS "Anpan" Lightweight Canvas (JGH-114-1H)
- Fabric (Outer Fabric・Pocket): 70cm×110cm
(Lining Fabric): 55cm×110cm
(Tag Fabric): 7cm×4.5cm
- Twill Tape: 2cm wide x 28cm
- Magnetic Hook (Sew on type): One pair (1.4cm diameter)
Size: 24cm(l) 36cm(w) 10cm(d)
Purchase the Fabric
We interviewed Mioko about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF):What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
This series of fabric has always been my favorite. The introduction of new colors is quite exciting! Just looking at this beautiful orange Anpan bread design makes you happy. I came up with a bag because I wanted to make use of this impressive Anpan design.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
The inside design is simple without a pocket so that you can put many items in this large bag. Instead, the pockets with a tuck is added on the side exterior. It is big enough to hold a drink bottle.
KF: What are some tips for making this bag?
The highlight of this bag making is the handle sewing. Where it’s curved, make sure to cut a slit on the seam. Fold along the finish line with a focus on creating a clean curve.
KF: How should we use this bag in everyday situations?
A brilliantly lively orange will go so well with a simple outfit. It will be fun to create a mask case or a sanitizing spray case in the same fabric.
KF: Thank you very much, Mioko! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Cut the fabric.
2. With the front sides facing outside, fold the pocket in half. Fold the tape in half. Wrap it over the top end of the fabric and sew. Make a tuck (1cm width) in the bottom center (fold line).
3. Layer the pocket fabric over the side outer fabric and sew together.
4. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the main portion and side outer fabric.
5. Open the unsewn part, flatten it and sew.
6. The outer bag is ready.
7. Repeat the same process for the lining bag.
8. Turn only the outer bag inside out.
9. With the front sides facing each other, layer the outer and lining bags
10. Sew around the "u"-shaped curve. Cut a slit on the seam.
11. Turn it inside out.
12. With the front sides facing each other, sew together the top ends on the right and left of the handles. Press the seam open.
13. Fold in the outer seam and sew.
14. Attach the magnetic hook.