A lovely baby’s dress with a clown-style collar is easy to put on and take off as the neckline and cuff are stretchable. The pretty soft-textured fabric with sprinkles of star embroidery is a thread-dyed jacquard waffle.
Design & Work: Naomi Nohara (lepolepo)
Fabric shown for this sample:
- Fabric : 110cm wide x 1m
- Elastic tape: 64cm (Braid 6 cord)
Size: For a child with 70-80cm height, body length 42cm, Body width 42cm, Sleeve length 29cm
We interviewed Naomi about her creation:
Kokka Fabric (KF): What did you think of the fabric you used for this project?
The soft and fluffy texture of the waffle fabric is perfect for a baby’s clothing. This fabric in particular, is lovely with star embroideries as an accent. With the appropriate thickness, it was easier to sew than you think.
KF: Can you tell us any special elements or ideas that you incorporated into this creation?
The neckline and cuff can stretch with the elastic tape. It makes it easy to put it on a baby who does not stay still. The loose body and sleeve make it versatile, allowing babies to wear it as a tunic blouse when they get older. By using the same pattern for both front and back, it was intended to be an easy- to-sew project. The process is simple, so I would really like sewing beginners to try making this dress.
KF: What are some tips for making this dress?
When attaching the collar to the body, please be extra careful with the front and back direction.
KF: How should we incorporate this dress into baby’s styling?
By modifying the length to be shorter, it can easily turn into a blouse. If you have remnants, this soft-textured fabric will become useful as a baby’s wipe cloth or small cases and bags.
KF: Thank you very much, Naomi! Here are sewing instructions along with step by step photos from her. Enjoy crafting!
1. Fold the seam of the sleeve in three and iron the fold.
2. Apply zigzag stitches on the collar. With the front sides facing each other, fold in half and sew the center side of the left sleeve. Fold the seam and sew.
3. Sew together the body and sleeve. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam.
4. Layer the body・sleeve and collar and sew together.
5. Turn over the collar and iron to align the shape. Sew all the way around at 1cm from the top and leave an opening for elastic.
6. Sew all the way from the sleeve to the side. Apply zigzag stitches on the seam.
7. Put the elastic tape on the collar and cuff through the opening. Close the opening